Tuesday, February 15, 2011

On the Inside


I love taking pictures of the US Capitol Building. It's so intricately detailed that it's gorgeous in any lighting. It was a marvel of modern architecture and, of course, still is an icon in international politics. It also helps that it's conveniently located.

The inside of the massive dome is just as stunning. In the center of the great rotunda is "The Apotheosis of Washington," which is literally about the deification of George Washington, the first President of the United States. I think the fresco epitomizes the intersection between Enlightenment ideals and the government, a tradition that is often overlooked by those that argue for Christianity as the basis of government. Right there, in the very core of our democracy, is a symbolic image of pagan idolatry.

3 comments:

  1. I have a very similar shot that I just took the first week of December when I was there. You are so right about how stunning it is. I was almost getting dizzy looking up and taking it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon! You're right--it is dizzying! The height, combined with the way that all the detailing keeps your eyes moving, results in instant vertigo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shot. I love all the detail.

    ReplyDelete